Dahi Bhalla or dahi vada is a delicious, mouthwatering chaat made with the paste of the lentils which is fried and covered with hung curd, imli chutney, spices etc.
In this post, I will teach you how to make dahi bhalla at home easily. I have prepared the video for showing you the exact steps.
About Dahi Vada or Dahi Bhalla
Dahi vada is also called as dahi bhalla. It is one of the famous street food in India. You can imagine its popularity that it is prepared for every party, functions festivals like Holi, Diwali etc.
Dahi means curd or yoghurt. And bhalla or vada means the lentils (dal) fritters. The hung curd is spread on top of it. After that imli chutney (tamarind chutney) spread on it. And some people prefer mint and coriander chutney. Then the spices masala are sprinkled on top of it with the pomegranate.
In the markets, you will get kachalu chaat also on top of it. It enhances its taste.
You can further read my other chaat recipes
Read my other snacks recipes
Dahi Bhalla Recipe Video
Dahi Bhalla Recipe | Dahi Vada Recipe
- 150 gm Moong dal
- Baking soda
- Red chilli powder
- ½ tsp Ajwain optional
- 300-350 ml curd dahi hung curd
- Tamarind chutney imli chutney
- Pomegranate peeled
- Roasted cumin powder
- Dry pudina leaves powder Pudina powder
- Black pepper powder
- Black salt kala namak
- kachalu chaat optional
- Oil for frying
Making Dahi Bhalla Batter
- Take 150gm of moong dal and soak it for 3-4 hrs.
- Then remove the water and make a paste of it in the blender. Add a very less water for making the paste.
- Now, add ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp red chilli powder, ¼ tsp baking soda, and ½ tsp Ajwain (optional) to the moong dal paste
- Mix it well, also remember to stir it in one direction only.
- Beat it until the paste becomes light in weight and fluffy.
- Keep it aside for 15-20 minutes.
Frying Dahi Bhalla
- Take oil in a kadhai and heat it for deep frying.
- When the oil is medium hot. add a small amount of batter to the oil. It should come slowly to the surface. It means the oil is hot at the right temperature for frying or not.
- Take the batter with a spoon and add it to the kadhai. Or, you can put the batter in the oil from your hands.
- Fry the vada well from both sides and fry it in medium flame so that it is cooked from the inside too.
- Now, once it is cooked from both sides it means it is cooked from the inside. Remove it in a tissue paper
- Take a big bowl of water and heat it
- Add ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp sugar (optional), hing (optional)
- Allow it to dissolve in water
- The temp of the water should not be too high, (Check water temp by taking it in hand)
- Now, add vada into the water and soak it for 10-15 minutes.
- Then, take vada and squeeze it with light hands. Do not press tightly, otherwise, they can break.
- This process makes the vada light and also removes the oil from it.
Making Dahi Bhalla
- Take a serving bowl or plate and keep vada in it
- Now, add Dahi on top of it
- Add tamarind chutney on top of it,
- Also, add dhaniya pudina chutney to it. It is an optional ingredient.
- Sprinkle little bit of salt to taste, roasted cumin powder, black salt, red chilli powder, pudina powder, black pepper powder,
- Now, add peeled pomegranate to it.
- Dahi vada/ Dahi bhalla is ready.
If you want to ask about this recipe or give suggestions. Then you can tell us in a comment section. We would love to hear from you. And please give a star rating below.
If you like this post, then please consider retweeting it or sharing it on Facebook or Pinterest.