Aloo tikki recipe is made with boiled mashed potatoes which is shallow fried and on top of it loaded with curd, tangy tamarind chutney and spicy green chutney and some spices.
This hot and cool chaat recipe is so delicious that you cannot live without having it.
Aloo tikki is one of the best chaats in India. It is very popular in Delhi. It is hugely famous in every corner of India. It is very famous street food in India. You will find many stalls of these nearby your area. And lots of crowd around these chaat shops.
I am sharing the Delhi style aloo tikki chaat recipe with you.
Two ways of making tikkis
I will make it in two ways. First one is simple aloo tikki and second one is famous aloo tikki chaat.
Aloo tikki is only served with tamarind chutney or tomato ketchup, coriander chutney etc. You can have it like pakora.
But the real taste in the aloo tikki chaat. In this first aloo tikki is crushed with hands. then on top of it, we spread curd, tamarind chutney, coriander chutney, salt, red chilli powder, crushed roasted cumin seeds powder, chaat masala.
Both of them tastes amazing, but I prefer aloo tikki chaat the most.
Some vendors add some extra things to it like small cubes of paneer, pomegranate seeds, sliced tomatoes, very finely chopped ginger, cabbage and beetroots etc. It enhances the flavour of tikki.
Real Fact: Around 25 years ago, in year 1996 a small street vendor named Bittoo Tikki Wala (BTW) started adding extra things on top of the tikki. His tikki were very famous that time. He was so popular that time that he get huge success. And now he has many restaurant by name of BTW. It is a big restaurant chain in India. Now everyone adds extra things on top of tikki. He created this new flavour of tikki.
You can see my street food recipe collection in which I have mentioned various street food recipes. Some of them are mentioned below.
Tell me in the comments which chaat do you eat when you go outside?
Aloo Tikki Recipe
- 6 boiled potatoes
- a handful of green coriander
- 2-3 finely chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1.5 teaspoon dry mango powder
- 3-4 tablespoon rice flour
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin seeds powder
- 1 bowl curd
- 3-4 tablespoon tamarind chutney
- 3-4 tablespoon coriander chutney
- Take boiled potatoes in a bowl
- Add a handful of green coriander, 2-3 finely chopped green chilies, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder, 1.5 teaspoon dry mango powder, 3-4 tablespoon rice flour, And mix it.
- Mash the potatoes and mix all the ingredients in it. Potatoes should not be hot when you are going to make the tikki. Let it cool for few hours before making tikki. Do not mash it properly. Few big aloo pieces which are left is ok.
- Apply oil in hand . and make round tikkis of mixture
- Gently press the tikkis and flatten it little bit. And prepare all the tikki for frying.
- Heat the oil in the pan for shallow frying of tikkis
- place tikkis in the pan.
- Cook tikkis on low flame. If the flame is high then it will not cook from inside.
- Flip the tikkis When they are golden brown from one side
- when they are golden brown from both of the sides, remove tikkis from oil. Do not place it on a kitchen towel otherwise, they will lose their crispiness.
- Place tikkis on the plate, and flatten it a little bit by hand. And put curd on it.
- Put tamarind chutney and coriander chutney on top of it.
- Sprinkle salt, chaat masala, red chili powder, roasted jeera powder on top of it.
- Some vendors add onions, sev on top of it. It add some more flavour in it. You can try this also.
Aloo Tikki Recipe Video
I have shown recipe of aloo tikki and aloo tikki chaat recipe in this video. So watch till the end. This is the same roadside of aloo tikki recipe.
Pin this below image on Pinterest if you like it.
If you want to ask anything related to this recipe or give any suggestions. Then you can tell us in a comment section. We would love to hear from you. And please give a star rating below.
If you like this post, then please consider retweeting it or sharing it on Facebook or Pinterest.