This post is also available in: हिन्दी
Want to know how to make idli more nutritious and interesting?
In this post, i will share the way to add vegetables to the idli to make it delicious and more nutritious.
This idli is called vegetable idli. They are also soft, and fluffy. So, lets learn how to make delicious idli with vegetables.
I have shown exact step by step recipe in the below video.
About Idli Recipe
Traditionally, idli is a south Indian food made with rice or sooji (rava/semolina). But nowadays it is eaten in every part of India.
Today, I made an idli batter with the suji. If you prefer rice batter then you can see my dosa batter post. Use this batter for making dosa or idli.
Idli tastes best with sambar, and coconut chutney(nariyal chutney). I have made also peanut chutney and tomato chutney. You can try them also.
You can further check out my other south indian recipes
If you are interested in south Indian recipes then check out my masala dosa and wheat dosa recipe.
Vegetable Idli Recipe Video
- 1 cup Suji Semolina
- 1 cup curd dahi
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 12-15 curry leaves kari patta
- ½ cup carrot chopped in small pieces
- ½ cup beans chopped in small pieces
- ½ cup cabbage chopped in small pieces
- ¼ cup sweet corns
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- Oil for greasing idli plates
Preparing Idli batter
- In a bowl add 1 cup suji and 1 cup of curd to it.
- Mix it well with the spoon.
- Mix it until all the lumps are removed from it.
- cover it with lid and wait for 10-15 minutes.
- Now suji is fermented, add ½ cup water to it.
- Mix it well and make a smooth batter.
- Add the sauthe vegetables to the batter.
- And mix them well.
- Now add ½ tsp baking soda to it.
- mix it slowly. Now you will see the bubbles in it. Batter is ready for the idli.
- Heat the kadhai and add 1 tbsp oil to it.
- Add ½ tsp mustard seeds to it.
- Once it sputter, then, add 12-15 curry leaves to it.
- Add ½ cup carrot chopped in small pieces
- Add ½ cup beans chopped in small pieces
- Add ½ cup cabbage chopped in small pieces
- Add ¼ cup sweet corns to it.
- Mix it well.
- Add 1 tsp salt to it.
- Add ¼ tsp black pepper powder to it
- mix it well.
- And cook it for 5-7 minutes on medium flames.
- After that turn off the gas and let them cool.
- Grease the idli plates/moulds with the oil.
- Do not swirl or mix the batter before adding it to the moulds.
- Half-fill the batter in the moulds. Do not fill moulds to the full.
- Fill 1.5 glasses of water in the idli steamer/cooker or big patila. And boil the water.
- Place the idli moulds in the idli steamer/cooker. And cover with the lid.
- Steam it for 10 to 15 minutes on high flame.
- For checking whether, the idli is steamed properly or not, insert the knife into the idli. If it is come out clean it means they are steamed perfectly. If it does not come out clean, then steam again for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the moulds from the steamer. And remove the idli from the steamer with the help of a knife.
- Vegetable idli is ready, serve it with coconut chutney, peanut chutney and sambar.
Tip:You can add beetroot, broccoli etc. to it.
Did you try this recipe?
Click a picture and mention @foodyshoodyofficial or tag #foodyshoodyofficial us on Instagram.
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel and stay updated with our latest video recipes.
If you want to ask about this recipe or give suggestions. Then you can tell us in a comment section. We would love to hear from you. And please give a star rating below.
If you like this post, then please consider retweeting it or sharing it on Facebook or Pinterest.