Sarso ka saag is a classic north Indian Punjabi dish made with green leafy vegetables like sarso leaves (mustard leaves), spinach, maize flour (makki ka atta) and curd (yoghurt).
It is super delicious and full of nutrients. People love to have this in winters. All the vegetables which are used in this dish are easily available in the winters in India.
इस रेसिपी को हिन्दी मे पढ़े
What is Sarso ka Saag?
Sarso is the Hindi word for mustard. And saag is referred to as green. This recipe is made with sarso leaves, palak leaves etc.
I prefer making this with sarso leaves and palak leaves. You can use other green leaves vegetables like green methi leaves (Fenugreek), bathua (Chenopodium/ Goosefoot leaves), radish leaves.
All these vegetables are easily available in the winters in India. The taste of sarso ka saag is very good and every people from North India specially from the Punjab region loves it.
Making sarso ka saag is not a difficult task. You can make various variations by adding above mentioned green vegetables in it.
What to have with sarso ka saag?
Makki ki roti and bajre ki roti tastes amazing with sarso ka saag. But you can have it with any Indian flatbread like roti, paratha, poori, tandoori roti etc.
Add desi ghee or homemade white butter on top of it. It will increase the taste of it. And accompany with jaggery (gur) with it. It will increase its taste more.
Take radish, carrot and green chilli with it in a salad.
Other Winter recipes
Sarso ka Saag benefits
Sarso ka saag is very nutritious and has many health benefits. It is rich in antioxidants, helps in detoxification, is anti-inflammatory, prevents cancer, helps in weight loss etc. You can read the health benefits of sarso ka saag on TheHealthSite. It is one of the healthiest dishes in the Indian cusine.
How can I remove bitterness from Sarson ka saag?
To remove the bitterness you can add a little more palak, bathua and methi in it. Do not add lots of sarso in it because it has a slightly bitter taste.
What is Sarson ka saag called in English?
Sarson ka saag is a hindi word. In the Punjab region of India, they call it sarson da saag in the Punjabi language.
Mustard green curry or mustard green dish is the English name of sarson ka saag.
What is the difference between saag and Palak?
Saag is an Indian dish made with a combination of two or more vegetables like sarson ka saag in this we use sarson, palak, methi etc. Whereas palak is the Hindi name of spinach. We can make palak curry with only spinach. Both the dishes are delicious and full of nutrients.
Is Sarson Ka Saag hot or cold?
Sarson ka saag is a hot dish that helps us to stay warm in the winters.
Why Sarso Ka Saag is famous?
Sarso ka saag is famous because it is very delicious, creamy and full of nutrients. If you have hot sarso ka saag with makki ki roti then you will know why it is very famous.
Sarso ka Saag Recipe Video
Sarso ka Saag Recipe
- 500 gram sarso ke patte
- 250 gram palak
- 1 glass water
- 3-4 medium size tomato
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tablespoon makki ka atta
- 2 tablespoon curd (yogurt) dahi
- 2 teaspoon oil
- a pinch of hing
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds jeera
- 1½ teaspoon salt namak
- 2 tablespoon coriander powder dhaniya powder
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric haldi
- methi optional
- bathua leaves optional
- few cloves of garlic optional
- 1-2 tablespoon desi ghee or white butter
- Wash the spinach and sarso thoroughly and finely chop it.
- Put them in a cooker and add 1 glass of water and pressure cook it for 3 whistles.
- Put tomatoes, ginger and green chillies in the blender jar and make a paste of it.
- Mix makki ka atta and curd in a bowl. and make a smooth consistency.
- Roughly blend the boiled sarso and palak in the jar.
- Heat the pan and add 2 teaspoons of oil to it.
- Add ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds and cook it until it turn brown.
- Now add one pinch of hing in it.
- If you have garlic, then you add a few chopped cloves of garlic and saute them.
- Now add tomato paste to it. Cook it for a few seconds.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of haldi powder, 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, 2 teaspoon dhaniya powder, and cook it on low flame.
- Add a mixture of makki ka atta and curd in the pan and mix it well. It is a completely optional step.
- Add the left over water of spinach and sarso.
- Add 1½ teaspoon salt and mix it well.
- This time add the paste of spinach and sarso. And mix it well. And add the leftover water of spinach and sarso water.
- Add the water to make a think consistency according to your choice.
- Cook it for 5-7 minutes on low flames.
- Serve in the bowl and add desi ghee on top of it.
Sarso Saag Web Story
If you want to ask anything related to this recipe or give any suggestions. Then you can tell us in a comment section. We would love to hear from you. And please give a star rating below.
If you like this post, then please consider retweeting it or sharing it on Facebook or Pinterest.