Today you will learn how to make missi roti recipe on tawa. You can check the recipe step by step in photos and video as well.
Missi roti is often made in North India. I made this missi roti recipe by adding lots of spices and onion to give extra flavour.
I add onion mostly. But if you do not want to add onion then you can add other vegetables like spinach, grated carrots or beetroots etc. Else you can make it without any vegetables.
I add vegetables to make it more healthy. And it is a good way to add vegetables to your kids’ diet.
What is Missi Roti?
Missi roti is made with a combination of wheat flour, gram flour (besan), spices and vegetables like onion, carrots etc.
It is an Indian flatbread that can be made in various variations. It can be made on tawa as well as tandoor. Generally in parties and restaurants, they made it in tandoor. It is also known as punjbai missi roti.
How to make missi roti atta
Missi roti atta is made with equal parts of wheat flour and gram flour. I have used 1 cup of each and added lots of spices to it. Some people take the 2:1 portion of wheat flour and gram flour. You can try both combinations to check the taste.
You can check the recipe cards for ingredients and steps for preparing dough for it.
Missi roti benefits
It has various health benefits as it helps in controlling diabetes, it lowers cholesterol level. It has lots of nutrients like protein, vitamin B1, B2, and B3. You can further read more about it
Side dish for missi roti
Missi roti can be served with aloo tamatar sabzi, any dal like chane ki dal, dal makhani, aloo matar, any paneer recipe, any dry or gravy curry, pickle, plain curd, raita like aloo raita, onion raita, any chutni etc.
I even have it with tea in the evening or in dinner. It tastes amazing with it.
Missi Roti Recipe Video
Recipe of Missi Roti
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup Gram flour (besan)
- 4 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 chopped green chilies
- ½ inch chopped ginger
- chopped coriander
- 2 medium size chopped onion
- ¼ teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
- ½ teaspoon Kasuri methi powder (Fenugreek Leaves)
- ½ teaspoon amchur (dry mango powder)
- ¼ teaspoon ajwain (carom seeds)
- ¼ teaspoon haldi (turmeric powder)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed kali mirch (black pepper)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed dhaniya seeds (coriander seeds)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water or as required
Steps for making missi roti dough
- Take 1 cup wheat flour, 1 cup besan flour in a bowl
- Add ¼ teaspoon hing (asafoetida), ¼ teaspoon crushed coriander seeds, ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper, ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon ajwain seeds, ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- Add ½ teaspoon dry mango powder, ½ teaspoon Kasuri methi powder, 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix all the spices well
- Now add chopped onions, chopped green chillies, chopped ginger, chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix it well.
- Add little water and kneed the dough.
- Add more water if required. Around 1 cup water is sufficient to make dough. If dough becomes sticky, then add little more water. If the dough looks dry, then add little water and knead it.
- Take cooking oil in hand and knead it again.
- Your missi roti atta is ready. Cover it with a plate and leave it for 10-15 minutes
- Make small dough balls and cover them from all sides with wheat flour.
- Roll the dough balls to make a circular shape roti. Add more wheat flour if required. Roll to medium thick size roti.
Steps for making missi roti
- Heat the tawa on the gas stove.
- Place the rolled missi roti on it.
- Flip the missi roti, when the base is partially cooked.
- Spread some oil with the help of a spoon on the partly cooked part.
- Flip it again, the other side will be more cooked. Spread some oil on this side also.
- Press the missi roti with the spoon so that it cooks evenly from all sides.
- Flip again once or twice until it is cooked from both sides.
- It will be golden brown from all the sides, Your missi roti is ready.