Dum aloo is a delicious dish made with baby potatoes, that are cooked in gravy or sauce.
The dish has various versions of it. Today I am sharing the easiest way to make it.
Let’s learn how to make dum aloo at home which tastes exactly the same as the restaurant one.
About Dum Aloo
Dum aloo is a North Indian curry dish. The baby potatoes are first half boiled and then cooked in the tomato gravy.
Its name dum aloo comes from the Hindi word dum means “cooking on slow fire” and potatoes mean aloo.
It means it is a potato curry cooked on a slow fire. This technique is used in various other dishes like dum biryani, dum baingan etc. Even if you make anything on slow flames then it will taste good because of the slow cooking method.
This is one of the famous dishes like shahi paneer, kadhai paneer, chole, dal makhani, palak paneer etc. which is used to prepare for the marriage functions, celebrations etc.
As I told you earlier, there are many versions of it. Some use curd, some use curd with besan etc. One of the popular versions is Kashmiri dum aloo and Punjabi dum aloo.
What to serve with dum aloo
Dum aloo tastes best with puri, naan, garlic naan, tandoori roti, missi roti, paratha, steam rice, etc.
I have this with paratha or puri at home. At the celebration, I have it with naan or tandoori roti.
I request you to further read my other delicious sabji recipes:
Dum Aloo Recipe Video
Dum Aloo Recipe | How to make dum aloo
- 500 gm small potatoes aloo
- 3-4 tbsp oil
- 3-4 green chilli
- 2 medium size tomatoes
- 2 inch ginger
- 1 bowl curd
- 2 medium size onion
- cumin seeds
- haldi powder
- red chilli powder
- garam masala
- Kasuri methi
- dal chini
- kali mirch
- coriander leaves
- Boil the potatoes and peel the skin off them.
- Take a fork and poke some holes in the potatoes. So that the potatoes absorb the flavour of the masala.
- Add ½ tsp salt, 1/2 tsp haldi powder, and ½ tsp red chilli powder. And mix them well.
Shallow frying of potatoes
- Turn on the gas and heat the pan.
- Add 3 tbsp oil and heat it.
- Add all the masala coated potatoes to it.
- Shallow fry them on medium flames.
- Take them out in the tissue paper. So that the extra oil is absorbed by tissue paper.
Making Dum Aloo
- In the same pan add the khade masale dal chini, kali mirch, laung and elaichi. There is no need to add the oil. Use the leftover oil for this.
- Add ½ tsp cumin seeds and cook it a little bit.
- After that, add 2 pinches of hing. And cook it a little bit.
- Add roughly chopped green chillies and ginger to it and mix it well. Cook it a little bit.
- Now, add roughly chopped onion to it. And cook it for 1-2 minutes or cook until they become soft.
- Add roughly chopped tomatoes to it. And cook it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ½ tsp haldi powder, ½ tsp red chilli powder, and 1 tsp salt and mix it well.
- Cook the masala for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the mixture to the plate for cooling down.
- Add mixture in the mixer jar and make a smooth paste of it.
- In the same pan, add 1 tsp oil and heat it.
- Add the mixture paste to it. And cook it for 1 minute.
- Add kasuri methi and ½ tsp garam masala to it. And mix it well.
- Cook the masala.
- Add curd to the pan and mix it well for 1-2 minutes on the low medium flame.
- Add all the shallow fry potatoes to it.
- Mix it well.
- Put a little bit of water on it.
- Cover the lid. And Cook dum aloo on high flame for 1-2 minutes.
- Take out dum aloo in the serving bowl.
- Garnish it with cream or malai on top of it.
- And garnish it with fresh coriander leaves.
If you want to ask anything related to this recipe or give any suggestions. Then you can tell us in a comment section. We would love to hear from you. And please give a star rating below.
If you like this post, then please consider retweeting it or sharing it on Facebook or Pinterest.