This Dal Makhani recipe has a taste like a restaurant’s dal makhani. And we made this in our home.
Even we have not added too many spices to the dish. This is a simple, super delicious and easy to make recipe.
This is punjabi food. And every punjabi food lover loves the dal makhani.
Its creamy and buttery taste make you fall in love with it.
The two main ingredients of this recipe is whole black lentils (also known as urad dal or kaali dal or maa ki dal in the Hindi language), and kidney beans (rajma in the Hindi language)
Lentils are one of the parts of Indian food. Most people have it daily or many times a week.
What serves best with dal makhani?
It also tastes awesome with plain rice, jeera rice etc.
What does makhani mean?
Makhani means buttery. In this dal makhani recipe, urad dal and rajma are cooked in lots of butter and cream. Due to that, it becomes a rich dal in flavour.
Who invented dal makhani?
The famous dal makhani is invented by Kundan Lal Gujral. He is the founder of the Moti Mahal Restaurant Chain. Read more about it.
How long soak dal before cooking?
Ideally, we should soak dal for atleast 10 hours. We want to make dal in the morning, then soak it in the night. If we want to make it for the dinner, then soak it in the morning.
Can we make dal makhani without onion and garlic?
Yes, you can make dal makhani without onion and garlic. If you add it will taste better.
Dal Makhani Recipe | Dal Makhani Restaurant Style
- 1 cup urad dal
- ¼ cup rajma Kidney beans
- 2 chopped onion
- ½ cup tomato puree
- chopped coriander leaves
- tablespoon butter
- 2 inch finely chopped ginger
- 2 finely chopped green chillies
- 3 tablespoon fresh cream
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon dal makhani masala
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt according to taste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon cooking oil
- Soak urad dal and rajma in enough water for 10-12 hours. Later drain the water.
- Rinse both of them in the running water for a couple of time.
- Drain again and put dal and rajma in the pressure cooker and add 2 glass of water and ½ teaspoon salt in it.
- Pressure cook for 5-6 whistles on high flame.
- After opening the cooker check that the rajma and dal are cooked and softened properly. If it is raw then again, add ½ glass water and pressure cook it for 1 or 2 whistles more.
- Keep the cooked rajma and dal aside for later use.
- Heat the kadhai and add ½ teaspoon cooking oil and butter in it.
- Add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds. Cook it until it turns light brown.
- Add green chillies and ginger in it. Cook it until its raw flavour goes away.
- Now add onion in it. Cook it until it turns golden brown.
- Add ½ cup of tomato puree and mix it properly. You can use ready made puree or simply chop the tomatoes and blend to a smooth puree.
- Add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, 2 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, salt as per taste.
- Cook it until its raw flavour of masala goes away. And when masala will cook it will lose oil from the sides.
- Now, add 2 teaspoons dal makhani powder.
- Add boiled dal and rajma in it. And mix it.
- Cook it for 10-15 minutes in low flame.
- Then add 1 teaspoon garam masala in it.
- Now cook it at least 1 hour on low flame so that the real flavour and texture will come.
- Add 3 tablespoon cream in it. And mix it.
- Garnish it with green coriander.
- You can add garlic in it. We do not use garlic in our cooking that’s why I did not add in this recipe.
- Use Kasuri methi for additional flavour in dal makhani.
- You can increase the quantity of butter for additional buttery flavour.
Dal Makhani Recipe Video
Please pin this image if you like this recipe.
If you want to ask anything related to this recipe or give any suggestions. Then you can tell us in a comment section. We would love to hear from you. And please give a star rating below.
If you like this post, then please consider retweeting it or sharing it on Facebook or Pinterest.