Paneer Butter Masala
This post is also available in: हिन्दी
Paneer butter masala recipe is one of the delicious recipes of Punjabi cuisine from North India.
Today, we will learn to make paneer butter masala restaurant-style recipes at home.
We all try to make restaurant style or dhaba style dishes at home, but most of the time taste is not good as compared to that.
Do not worry, after trying this recipe your dish taste exactly the same as the restaurant style.
About Butter Paneer Masala
Paneer butter masala is a paneer gravy dish made with paneer, cashew, cream, tomatoes, species and lots of butter. That’s why its name is paneer butter masala. It is also known as a butter paneer.
As lots of butter is used in the curry of it, that’s why it has a buttery flavour.
Usually, onion is used in making it, but in this recipe, I haven’t used onion.
It is one of the most famous paneer dishes like shahi paneer, kadhai paneer, matar paneer, paneer tikka, palak paneer etc.
Paneer lovers enjoy this dish because it has a buttery flavour, along with the tangy flavour of tomatoes, creamy flavour of cream and cashew. This makes it a rich dish.
All the ingredients are easily available at home, except cream. You need to buy cream and paneer for it. If you prefer making homemade paneer, then you can use it as well.
- Paneer: Always use fresh paneer which is soft. You can use malai paneer or use the home made paneer.
- Tomatoes: Use ripe red colour tomatoes for the dish, as it is one of the main ingredient and base of the gravy. Do not use desi tomatoes as they are very sour.
- Tomato gravy: For making smooth gravy strain the tomato gravy with the help of strainer. So, that the smooth gravy consistency comes.
- Cream: Always use fresh cream for the dish. And after adding cream do not cook it for too long.
- Butter: You can use salted butter or unsalated butter. If you have home made butter then it is the best. Any butter yellow butter or white butter can be added to it.
- Colour of dish: To give orangish red colour to dish, always use the kashimiri red chilli powder in this dish.
What to serve with paneer butter masala?
Paneer butter masala best goes with naan, butter naan, garlic naan, tandoori roti, paratha, roti etc.
Panner Butter Masala Recipe Video
Paneer Butter Masala | Butter Paneer
- 200 gram paneer cut in cubes
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 bowl cashew
- 1 bowl Malai or cream
- 500 gm tomatoes roughly chopped
- 3 Laung
- 2 inch ginger
- Garam masala powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Kashmiri red chilli powder
- salt as per taste
- Roasted Kasuri methi
- Heat a pan and put 1½ tbsp butter and let it melt.
- On a medium flame, add 3 laung and 4-5 sticks of dalchini into the pan and mix well.
- Add roughly chopped ginger and tomatoes and mix it well. Cook it for 1-2 minutes till that time tomatoes become soft.
- Now turn off the flame and blend the tomatoes mixture into a fine paste.
- Strain the paste into a bowl using a strainer. Take the help of a spoon for straining. This will give a smooth texture to the gravy.
- Put the cashews in the blending jar, which we have already soaked in water for half an hour. Add a little water to it and blend it into a smooth paste.
- Take the same pan, put the rest of the butter (1½ tbsp) into it and let it melt.
- Now put the Kashmiri red chilli powder into the butter and mix it well. It gives a nice colour to the dish.
- On low flame, add the tomato paste to the pan and gently mix it.
- Cover it with a lid, turn the gas flame to high and boil the gravy.
- After the gravy comes to a boil, remove the lid, and cook it without covering it on a medium flame for about 1-2 minutes to make it a little thick.
- Now add 1 tsp coriander powder and mix it well on a high-medium flame.
- Add the cashew paste to the gravy and mix well.
- Also, add little water to the blending jar so the remains of cashew paste are also utilized and put that in the pan.
- After mixing all of it, cover the pan with a lid for about 1 minute.
- As soon as it comes to a boil, remove the lid and cook it on high-medium flame for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add garam masala powder and salt as per taste to the gravy and let it boil till it thickened.
- Add malai or cream. Along with this add roasted Kasuri methi (roast it on a tawa) to the gravy by crushing it between your palms. Give the gravy a gentle mix.
- Now add the paneer cubes to the gravy. Cover the lid and let it cook for about a minute so that the paneer absorbs the flavours.
- Turn off the flame and serve the dish to a serving bowl. Garnish it with coriander leaf.
Is Paneer Butter Masala good for health?
Yes, it is good for health. It is a high-calorie food. So do not overeat it. And have it occasionally.
What is butter paneer made of?
Butter paneer(paneer butter masala) is made of paneer, tomatoes, cashew, butter, cream and species. Its gravy is made of tomatoes, cashew, butter, cream and species.
What is paneer called in English?
Paneer is called cottage cheese in English.
Which is better paneer or tofu?
Paneer contains more protein, calcium, calories, fat. In India paneer is eaten more. Read more about the differences between paneer and tofu.