This post is also available in: हिन्दी
Bharwa karela recipe or stuffed bitter gourd recipe is a delicious Punjabi recipe made with karela (bitter gourd) stuffed with spiced filling with karela pith and seeds filling in it.
Karela bitterness is removed and stuffing of onion and karela peeling with spices make it very delicious.
This is the best dish of karela. Another version of karela sabzi is also good. But everyone loves bharwa karela dish.
I usually make this recipe at home. And Everyone in my family loves it.
I know many people who do not like karela or bitter gourd. But they love this dish. For increasing the taste have raita or curd, mint and coriander chutney with it.
What to have with bharwa karela recipe?
You can also read my other bharwa vegetable recipes (bharwa sabjis):
Bharwa Bhindi recipe
Bharwa Karela Recipe Video | Stuffed Bitter Gourd Recipe Video
Bharwa Karela Recipe | Stuffed Bitter Gourd Recipe
- 500 gm karela
- 4 medium-size onion chopped in small pieces
- 1 raw mango chopped in small pieces
- 2 tbsp sauf powder
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds methi dana
- 2 tsp coriander powder dhania powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder haldi powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 3-4 tsp oil
Preparing Karela and removing bitterness
- Wash and peel the karela. And make a vertical cut for filling the masala.
- Remove all the seeds and pith from karela.
- Apply some salt on karela for removing bitterness from it. And also sprinkle some salt on the peeling of karela and seeds.
- Leave it for a few hours and rinse 3-4 times with water for removing bitterness. Wash the seeds and pith of karela also.
Steps for preparing the stuffing
- on a heated oil, add 1 tsp fenugreek seeds, and add chopped onions. cook it for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped raw mango and cook it for 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1½ tsp salt, ½ tsp haldi, 2 tsp dhania powder, ½ tsp red chilli powder. Mix it and Cook it
- add 2 tbsp sauf powder and mix it well. And cook it for 1-2 minutes.
- Add karela peelliling, seeds and pith in it. And mix it well and cook it for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove in a plate for cooling down.
Filling the stuffing in karela and Cooking
- Fill the stuffing in the karela with a spoon or hands.
- Roll the karela with the clean thread so that stuffing will not come out.
- on a pan add 1-2 tsp oil and put all the karela in the pan.
- cover the lid and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- After that change the sides of the karela for cooking it from other sides. You have to change the sides of karela for cooking it from all the sides.
- Once it cooks from all the sides, remove it in a bowl for serving.
If you want to ask anything related to this recipe or give any suggestions. Then you can tell us in a comment section. We would love to hear from you. And please give a star rating below.
If you like this post, then please consider retweeting it or sharing it on Facebook or Pinterest.