Onion Raita Recipe
This post is also available in: हिन्दी
Onion raita is one of the best dish to beat the heat in summers. It helps us to prevent from ‘loo’ (sunstroke / heatstroke) as it is made with curd and onion. They are cool in nature so it prevents us in summers from heat.
In North India we call it as pyaz ka raita in hindi language as well. Raita is very quick to make. It accompanies with biryani or pulao, aloo parantha, paneer parantha, roti (chapati), dal etc. It is one the dish which used to eat alot in summers in North India.
There are very few ingredients required to make it. All the ingredients are easily found in the Indian home.
Today i will show you 2 different types of onion raita. First is made with raw onion, and second one is made with tadka style. Both of them taste very good.
Use MDH chunky chaat masala in your all raitas. It is enhances the flavor of it and gives a tangy flavor also.
Onion Raita Recipe or Pyaz ka Raita Recipe
- 300 ml curd/yogurt nicely whisked
- 3 small sized onion finally chopped
- Half teaspoon cumin seeds roasted and crushed
- Half teaspoon Kala namak
- Half teaspoon Black pepper powder
- Half teaspoon Red chilly powder
- Salt according to taste
Ingredients for Tadka Style Raita
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- coriander leaves chopped
- 5-6 mint leaves
Raw onion raita recipe
- Put curd/yogurt in bowl and whisk it until it smooth
- Add 3 small sized finally chopped onions int it.
- Add 2 finally chopped green chilies, 1/2 teaspoon kala namak, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder, half teaspoon red chilly powder, salt according to taste. Mix all ingredients very well.
- Add half teaspoon roasted cumin seed powder (bhuna jira powder)
- Add 1 tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves in it and mix it well.
Recipe of Tadka style raita
- Put cooking oil in pan and heat it.
- Add 1 teaspoon cumin seed and roast it until it color changes to light brown.
- Add chopped onions and green chilies and roast it little until its color changes to light brown.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon kala namak, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder, half teaspoon red chilly powder, salt according to taste. Mix all ingredients very well.
- Turn off the gas stove and remove it from gas. And put it on a bowl and let it rest until it cools down.
- Now add whisked yogurt in it and mix it well.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves and serve it.
- If you want to increase the spiciness of raita, then you can add more green chillies or red chilly powder.
- You can make a paste of green chillies and this into raita it will make create even spiciness in raita.
- Coriander leaves or mint leaves are optional. You can use any one of them or both of them for garnishing.
- You can add chat masala to it for adding a little tangy flavour to it. It enhances the taste of it.
- Some people don’t like thick raita. If you want less thick raita. Then you can add little water to it.