This post is also available in: हिन्दी
It has a very unique smoky flavour and tastes delicious. In this recipe, we will roast brinjal directly on gas flames or hot charcoal. Due to that, it has a smoky flavour.
In this post, you will learn how to make baingan ka bharta easily. I have made a recipe video also.
What is baigan ka bharta?
Baingan bharta is a Punjabi dish and it is basically from the Punjab region of north India. In this dish, we roast brinjal first and cook it with onion, tomatoes, and spices. Baingan is the Hindi work of brinjal or eggplant in English. And bharta means mashed.
You can add garlic to it, it will taste delicious. In this recipe, I avoided garlic as I don’t use garlic in my kitchen.
Even those who does not like baingans also love to have baingan ka bharta. It tastes so delicious.
Tips for Making Baigan ka Bharta
Select the right brinjal for bharta
Always pick the large dark purple brinjal. Large brinjal will have more flesh as compared to seeds and make sure its skin is smooth.
You can check the quantity of the seed by taking it in your hand. If its weight is less than that means it has fewer seeds as compared to the heavy one.
Do not buy brinjal which has a hole in it, it may get worms in it and it will be spoil from the inside.
Making bharta with small size baingan
If you did not find the large size of brinjal then you can also make the baingan bharta with the small baingans.
There are two methods of it.
- Peel brinjals and cut in small pieces. Put them on pan and cook it for few minutes without adding anything in it. They will cook and you can use these mashed brinjals for making bharta.
For adding the smoky flavour in it. You need 2-3 pieces of charcoal. Heat the small piece of charcoal on the gas until it the smoke comes out of it. Then place the smoking charcoal in the same plate with the mashed brinjals. Put few drops of oil on the charcoal and cover the plate with the big bowl. The charcoal smoke will get absorbed by the brinjals after 2 minutes
- Pick small brinjals with he help of tong and roast it on the lower gas flame. Roast it from all the sides and keep it aside. Repeat the step with all the brinjals. In this way you can make baingan ka bharta with small baingans.
Roasting brinjal in oven
For roasting brinjal in the oven, preheat the oven at 180 degrees celsius for 10 minutes. Place brinjal in the baking tray after slitting and applying oil on it.
Bake brinjal for 25 to 30 minutes or until fully roasted at 180 degrees celsius. After that peel the skin. It will not get the smoky flavour for adding a smoky flavour you have to place it aside on the burning coal after removing it from the oven.
Roasting brinjal in air fryer
You can make baingan ka bharta by air frying brinjal in it. You can read the full steps of it on Sandyathome.com.
Pin this image on Pinterest
What to serve with baigan ka bharta?
To enjoy the full taste of it add curd or raita to your meal. And add a plate of vegetable salad, mint coriander chutney (dhania pudina chutney) to make a complete meal.
Baigan Bharta Recipe Video
Baigan ka bharta recipe
- 2 medium size Brinjal Baigan approx 500 grams
- 8-10 cloves garlic lehsun
- 1 tablespoon Sarso oil
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- few pinch of asafoetida hing
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds jeera
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 big onion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder haldi
- 1/2 teaspoon red chillies powder lal mirch powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder dhaniya powder
- 3 medium size tomatoes
- fresh coriander
- Wash the brinjal in water and dry it with a cloth or kitchen napkin.
- Make 4 slits on equal distance.
- Add a pinch of hing in the slits with the knife. You can also add garlic to the slits. I do not eat garlic that's why I did not put garlic in this recipe.
- Grease the brinjal with the sarso oil with the hands. Prepare both of the brinjals in the same way.
- Turn on the gas and lower the flame.
- Put the brinjal on the gas flames and roast it for 10-12 minutes. Turn it once it is roast from one side.
- For checking it is completely roast or not, insert a knife in it. If it is easily going inside that means it is roast completely.
- Turn off the gas and remove the skin of the brinjal. It will come out easily because we applied sarso oil on it. Do not let it cool before removing the skin from it otherwise, it will not come out.
- Cut the head of the brinjal.
- Mash the roasted brinjal with the spatula or with a spoon.
Cooking Baingan ka bharta
- Heat the pan and add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil to it.
- Now add a pinch of hing (asafoetida) and ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds
- Once cumin seeds are roasted then add chopped green chillies and chopped ginger. And saute it.
- Now add 2 big finely chopped onions and saute them.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder , 2 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder) and mix it well. And cook it properly.
- Sprinkle few drops of water if the spices are sticking to the pan.
- Now add chopped tomatoes to it. And mix it well
- Add 1.5 teaspoon of salt and mix it well.
- Cover the pan with lid and cook it for 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- Now tomatoes adn spices are cooked.
- Add mashed baingan in it and mix it well.
- Add chopped corianderr and mix it well.
- Baigan bharta is ready to serve.
If you want to ask anything related to this recipe or give any suggestions. Then you can tell us in a comment section. We would love to hear from you. And please give a star rating below.
If you like this post, then please consider retweeting it or sharing it on Facebook or Pinterest.