This post is also available in: हिन्दी
Ghiya ki kheer or lauki kheer is an Indian desert that is made with bottle gourd and milk.
In this post I will teach you how to make lauki ki kheer with only milk. I will not add any khoya or mawa in this desert.
About Lauki Kheer
Lauki kheer is easy to prepare sweet made with bottle gourd (lauki or ghiya) and milk.
Lauki kheer or ghiya ki kheer can have in various vrats or Indian fasts like Navratri, Ekadashi, Pradosh, Shivratri, Janmashtami etc. All the ingredients which are required to make kheer are easily available at home.
The lauki ki kheer does not require any special ingredients. You require only lauki, milk, sugar, kesar, dry fruits, and cardamom powder. Except for milk, lauki and sugar all are optional ingredients.
Pro Tips by Neetu
- Use tender fresh lauki for kheer preparation.
- Lauki does not have seeds in it. If it has seeds then remove all the seeds.
- Use a heavy bottom pan for making kheer.
- Use full cream milk, so that you will get a good taste of it.
- If possible add pista, cashew, raisins etc. in it for better taste.
Lauki Kheer Recipe Video
Lauki Kheer Recipe | Ghiya ki Kheer
- 1 tbsp Desi ghee
- 250 gm grated Ghiya/Lauki (Bottle guard) or 2 cup
- 1 litre full cream milk
- ½ cup sugar
- Cardamom powder
- Take a ghiya and grate it with the help of a grater.
- Take a pan and add 1 tbsp desi Ghee.
- Heat it and then add grated Ghiya into it. (Remember, add ghiya directly into the pan, do not keep it for more time, as it becomes black).
- Now, cook it for 7-8 mins, stir it continuously, so that it doesn’t stick on the base of the pan.
- Now, cook it until it changes to golden brown colour.
- Now, take a utensil, Add 1-litre full cream milk in it and boil it.
- Once the milk starts to boil stir it.
- Now, take a bowl and remove 2-3 spoons of milk in it to put the kesar in it.
- Add some saffron/Kesar into the bowl and mix it and keep aside.
- Now, the milk has boiled then add the cooked ghiya into it. And keep the flame on medium.
- Cook kheer until we get a thick consistency.
- In between stir it as it should not stick on the base.
- Once the kheer is thickened to the desired consistency. Add cardamom powder and saffron milk into it.
- Now, add sugar as per your taste, Give a good mix and boil.
- Now, the kheer is ready to serve.
- You can enjoy it hot or cool.
- Serve it into a serving bowl and garnish it with some almonds.
- Delicious and tasty Ghiya ki kheer are ready.