Bread upma recipe with step by steps photos and video. It is easy and quick to make with bread.
It is a South Indian style recipe. It is made with any kind of bread like white bread, brown bread, whole wheat or multi-grain bread. I prefer making it with white bread or brown bread. We have only these bread in the home.
You can use fresh bread or a few days old bread for this recipe. If you are using fresh bread then don’t cut its edges. If you are using a few days old breads then cut the edges of it.
I used to have this bread upma in my childhood. It was one of my favorite food that time. I used to eat it in breakfast or evening snack. I used to eat it in many different ways. Sometimes I took tomato ketchup, sometimes I sprinkle lemon juice on it. Even one time I added namkeen bhujia on it and it tasted good.
I used to have it with evening tea much time. It was the replacement snack of maggi. My many friends tasted bread upma made by my mom. And they loved it also. We used to call it bread pulao as well.
You can check out my another upma recipe – suji ka upma (rava upma) recipe. And for evening snack or breakfast you can make namkeen seviyan, poha recipe, besan ka cheela, bread toast, bread besan toast, sooji ka cheela.
Bread Upma or Bread Pulao (How to make bread upma recipe)
- 6 Bread Slices Use any kind of bread
- 2 finally chopped tomatoes
- 2 Chopped Onion
- 2 Chopped green chilies (use chillies according to your taste)
- 1 Inch Ginger (finally chopped)
- half cup boiled potato cut in pieces
- half cup boiled peas
- half Chopped capsicum (you can use boiled capsicum also)
- half teaspoon cumin seed
- half teaspoon brown mustard seed optional
- Salt according to your taste
- 1 pinch Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp chaat masala
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 glass water
- Cut the bread slices in square pieces. If you are using fresh bread then do not cut the corners of it. if you are using few days old bread then remove the sides of it.
- Put 1 tablespoon cooking oil in pan and let it heat.
- Add half teaspoon of brown mustard seed and let them crackle and pop.
- After then add half teaspoon of cumin seed and let them crackle and cook it until its color changes to light brown
- Add green chilies and ginger in it and saute it until raw aroma of ginger and chilies goes away,
- Add chopped onion on it and saute the onion until it changes its color little bit.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and saute it.
- Add 1 pinch of turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon of chaat masala, You can add red chilly powder to increase the spiciness of dish. It is completely optional.
- After adding all the spices, mix it very well. Add salt according to your taste.
- Stir and saute all onions, tomatoes and spices. Within few time tomatoes will be soften and you will see the released oil from the sides. Tomatoes need to cook well for removing the raw flavor of it, otherwise it will not taste good.
- Add all the vegetable which we are using boiled potatotes cut into pieces, boiled peas, chopped capsicum.
- Cook these for few minutes. If you are using boiled vegetables then mix it well with spices. If you are using raw vegetables then cut into small pieces so that they can cook in less time. Cook raw vegetables for 3 to 4 minutes. And add little bit of water in it for cooking them.
- Add little bit of water and boil it.
- Now add bread pieces and mix it well.
- Serve it on plate and add some lemon juice on top of it.
- You can use any vegetables like carrot, cauliflower, cabbage, beans.
- Garnish it with fresh coriander. It will enhance the taste and look of dish.
- Cut vegetables and boil in pressure cooker them for using it in dish.
- You can have it with green chutney, add namkeen bhujiya on top of it.
- If you are having it in breakfast then take plain curd with it also. It makes a very healthy meal.
Bread Upma Recipe Video
There are other south Indian recipes also which are very delicious and healthy. Dosa and sambar are one of them.
If you want to ask anything related to this recipe or give any suggestion. Then you can tell us in the comment section. We would love to hear from you.
Never miss a recipe.
Subscribe to our newsletter and get yummy recipes and kitchen tips to your email inbox.