This post is also available in: हिन्दी
Today we will make sooji upma recipe. I am sharing the video of the recipe as well as photos.
Very less oil is used to make this upma. It is basically a South Indian recipe.
It is very delicious in taste. And it fills the tummy.
If you want to make a healthy breakfast or brunch, then you must try this recipe. Kids and elders all love this sooji upma.
You can add vegetables according to your preference. currently i have added tomatoes, peas, capsicum, onion in it. You can add carrots, cauliflower, beans, potatoes etc. in it.
If you are making this for kids then do not add chillies in it. Or if you want to add then add in very little quantity.
It does not take long to prepare. It hardly takes 15-20 minutes.
Some FAQ about upma
Is Rava and sooji same?
Yes, rava and sooji are same thing. English name of sooji is semolina.
What is UPMA / Rava made of?
It is a granulated wheat flour.
Is Suji good for health?
It is very good for health. As it contains carbs, protein, iron, minerals etc. It is good for heart, liver and rich in iron etc. For more health benefits you can read this article.
How do I roast Suji?
Heat the pan and add suji in it. Stir it continuously. When you get fragrance and it looks dry and separate. then turn off the gas. Do not brown the suji.
What should I eat with UPMA?
You can have it with coconut chutney. But you can also take curd with it. You can serve it with a cup of tea or coffee.
Why is my UPMA sticky?
One of the main reason is for sticky upma is that upma is not roasted properly. You have to roast it correctly. And another one is that you have added too much water in it. Correct ratio is 1:3. One part suji and 3 part water.
If you want to have some different kind of upma then try the bread upma recipe.
Sooji upma | Rava upma recipe.
- 1 cup sooji rava
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 finely chopped onion optional
- 1 finely chopped tomato
- 1 finely chopped capsicum
- 1 bowl peas
- 2 finely chopped green chilies
- 8 curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon mustard (rai)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon black lentil without skin
- 1 tablespoon Chickpeas lentils (channa dal)
- salt as per taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar optional
- 3 cup water thrice the quantity of sooji
- first of all roast the suji in pan or kadhai for few minutes. Continuously stir the sooji while roasting. After roasting it, keep it aside in a plate.
- Heat the oil in the pan. And add mustard and cumin seeds in it. When they splutter add the black lentil without skin, chickpeas lentils, curry leaves, and green chilies in it. Cook it until lentils are a little bit golden brown.
- Add chopped onion and fry it until it turns pink. Now add sugar in it (Sugar is optional)
- Now add tomatoes, salt, and red chilies powder and cook it nicely.
- Add all the vegetables like capsicum, peas, etc. Cook these for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add slowly add suji and water simultaneously while stirring the suji.
- Cook it for 2-3 minutes on slow flame. Upma is ready.
- You can garnish it with coriander if you want. It is an optional step.
Suji Upma Recipe Video
If you want to ask anything related to this recipe or give any suggestions. Then you can tell us in a comment section. We would love to hear from you. And please give a star rating below.
If you like this post, then please consider retweeting it or sharing it on Facebook or Pinterest.