This post is also available in: हिन्दी
Besan chilla is a delicious Indian snack made from gram flour (besan), onions and spices.
This is a nutritious, delicious and quick-to-make chilla. This is good for breakfast, brunch or evening snacks.
We need to just put all the things in the gram flour and make a batter of it. And then we have to cook it on the tawa.
Let’s learn how to make besan chilla at home.
About Besan Chilla
Besan chilla is also written as besan cheela. Chilla or cheela is an Indian version of a pancake. This is made with flour and that can be sweet or savoury.
Besan cheela is made with gram flour (besan). Besan is the Hindi name of the gram flour.
Besan chilla is prepared in a few minutes. We just need to add a few chopped vegetables to it to make it.
This is a perfect lunch box dish. Kids also love this besan chilla. If making for kids do not add green chilli and red chilli recipe.
In this version, I have added only onions to it. You can add tomatoes also to it. Tomato provides a good tangy flavour to it.
You can add spinach (palak), carrots, capsicum, carrots etc. to it. This will increase the nutrients in it.
Moong Dal cheela: is another nutritious chilla made with moong dal.
What to serve with besan chilla
Besan chilla tastes good with green chutney like mint and coriander chutney and tamarind chutney (imli chutney).
Take hot tea (chai) or coffee with it. It also tastes fantastic with it.
Besan Chilla Recipe Video
Besan Chilla | Besan Cheela
- 1 bowl besan
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 3 medium size onion finely chopped
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- fresh coriander finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger grated
- turmeric powder haldi powder
- red chilli powder lal mirch powder
Making Chilla Batter
- In a big bowl add besan and finely chopped onions and grated ginger.
- Add ½ tsp red chilli powder and 1 tsp salt to it.
- Mix them well.
- Now we have to make the batter of it. Add little water at a time and mix it.
- Again add little water and mix it.
- Add chopped green chillies and coriander.
- We need to make the smooth flowing consistency so that the batter can spread on the tawa.
Cooking Besan Chilla
- Heat the non-stick pan on the gas.
- Add 1 tsp oil to the pan.
- Pour the full spoon of batter into the pan.
- Gently spread the batter in a circular direction. Spread it slowly so that the chilla does not break. Try to make the round shape chilla.
- At this time, make sure the gas flame is on low-medium flames.
- Cook the base of the chilla until it turns golden brown.
- Put a few drops of oil on the edges of the chilla.
- Flip it carefully. And cook it from another side.
- Cook until it is golden brown from both sides. And press it in between for cooking evenly from all the sides.
- Your besan chilla is ready to serve
If you want to ask about this recipe or give suggestions. Then you can tell us in a comment section. We would love to hear from you. And please give a star rating below.
If you like this post, then please consider retweeting it or sharing it on Facebook or Pinterest.