This post is also available in: हिन्दी
The bread roll is a crispy and tasty roll made with bread and potato stuffing made with some spices.
It is an Indian snack that can be made quickly if you have already boiled potatoes.
It is a perfect snack for evening, kids lunch box, kids party, after school snack for kids etc. Kids also love this roll.
About Bread Roll
Bread roll is an Indian snack that has a crispy texture from the outside and is soft from the inside. It is also called a potato roll.
The potatoes stuffing is filled inside of the slice of bread and then the bread is rolled to give it an oval shape and then deep-fried.
If you don’t want to deep-fry it, then you can bake or air fry them. For baking, preheat the oven at 200 degrees celsius, brush it with melted desi ghee or butter and bake it for 10 to 12 minutes or until they are golden brown from outside. Baking steps are taken from Indian healthy recipes post.
If you have leftover masala of samosa, aloo paratha etc. then you can use it in the bread roll.
I saw a bread roll in the canteen at my school. At that time I did not know what is that. Once I tried it after that I loved it. It tastes good when it is hot and crispy.
Serve it with tomato ketchup and mint coriander chutney.
If you want to make bread rolls for kids then do not add green chiles and red chilli powder. Else, the recipe is the same.
Kids love it with tomato ketchup.
Bread Roll Recipe Video
Bread Roll Recipe | Potato Roll
- 5-6 boiled potatoes
- ½ cup onion finely chopped
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- Handful roughly chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp chaat masala
- ½ tsp ajwain
- 5-6 bread slices
- Oil for frying
Steps for preparing the stuffing
- Take a bowl and put 5-6 boiled potatoes, ½ cup finely chopped onion, 2 chopped green chillies, a handful of roughly chopped fresh coriander leaves in it.
- Then add 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp coriander powder, ¼ tsp red chilli powder, ½ tsp chaat masala, ½ tsp ajwain and mix them well with the help of a fork or a spoon.
- Take 5-6 bead slices and remove their edges.
- On a plate, pour half a cup of water. Dip one bread slice in the water for 1-2 seconds and take it out. Now, gently squeeze out the excess water using both your hands.
- Now lay the bread on your palm and put a spoonful of mixture in the centre. Seal the ends together and shape it like an egg.
- Repeat the same process with all the pieces of bread. Rest them for 5-7 minutes.
Steps of frying
- Heat oil in a pan to deep fry the rolls. Once the oil is heated, put the rolls one by one into the oil on a high flame until they become crisp and golden brown.
- Flip them over so that they cook from all sides.
- Take them out on a plate and serve with your favourite sauce.
- Always use white bread for the bread roll. It gives the perfect texture and taste.
- After making stuffing for the bread roll, ensure that it is cool down. After that fill it in the bread.
- You can use any vegetables like peas, carrots, cauliflower, beans, corn etc. Try it with any vegetable you like. it is a good way to have kids vegetables.