Samosa Recipe step by step
how to make samosa is easily explained in below steps with pictures and video.
Prep Time40 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 6 People (12 Samosas)
for making samosa pastry
- 150 grams all purpose flour or 1.5 cup (maida)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (namak)
- 1/2 teaspoon ajwaiyan (Carom Seeds)
- 5-6 tablespoons cooking oil
for samosa stuffing
- 6-7 medium size boiled potatoes mash it roughly but not to finally mashed
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- finally chopped green chilies
- chopped ginger
- raisin or dry grapes kishmish
- cumin seeds jeera
- roasted cumin seeds powder bhuna hua jeera
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilies powder
- 2 tablespoon Coriander powder dhaniya powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- chaat masala powder
- Dried mango powder amachur
- Oil for deep frying
Preparing dough for samosa pastry
take all purpose flour in a big bowl
add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and ajwaiyan on all purpose flour
add 3-4 tablespoon of cooking oil in the all-purpose flour (maida)
mix all with the help of hand
Add little bit of water in the mixture and knead them
after kneading it properly cover it with plate and rest it for 10-15 minutes
steps for making samosa stuffing
heat the pan (kadai )on stove
add 2-3 tablespoon of oil in pan (kadai) and heat it up
add cumin seeds (jeera) and fry it until its color changes to golden brown.
add chopped green chilies and chopped ginger and cook until its raw flavors goes away
Add 2 tablespoons of coriander powder
Add 1/2 teaspoon of red chili powder
Add 1 teaspoon of garam masala powder.
Mix it all and cook it until its raw flavour goes away
Add roughly mashed potatoes in it. Do not mash it in very small pieces
Mix it well
Add 1 teaspoon chaat masala powder
Add 2 teaspoon dry mango powder(amchur)
Add roasted crushed cumin seeds
Add raisins (kishmish or dry grapes) in the mixture (completely optional)
Add salt on top of it and mix it well
Turn off the gas stove and keep the filling aside to cool
Steps for shaping and preparing samosa for frying
After keeping the dough for aside for few minutes. Knead the dough lightly again
Divide dough in six equal parts
Take one piece of dough and roll in your hands to make the round smooth ball of it.
Roll the dough ball with a rolling pin. And make sure the thickness is not too thin or thick
Cut the samosa pastry through the centre with the help of knife or pizza cutter
Apply some water with the your fingers on the straight edge and join them. Press the edge so that it get sealed well. Now cone shape of samosa is ready.
Put the samosa stuffing into it
Again apply some water with your finger on the open ends of the pastry.
Press both the edges and seal it well. Be sure that there are no openings in it.
Repeat these steps and prepare all the samosa.
And make sure cover it with a moist kitchen napkin. So that they don’t get dry from the top
Steps for frying of samosa
Take oil in kadai or pan and heat it.
We need to check the oil temperature before putting samosa in it. For testing oil temperature, put a tiny dough piece in it. If it comes steadily and gradually on top, then oil is medium hot and it is ready for frying samosas.
Gently slide the prepared samosa in the kadai or pan. Keep the gas flame to lower medium or medium
Turn over these time by time and make sure it cooks evenly from both sides. Fry samosa till they become golden brown.
Take out samosas on paper towel to remove excess oil
Put only few samosas in your kadai according to your kadai size. And fry them in batches.
- Take sufficient oil for frying don’t take less oil. Otherwise, they will touch to the bottom of kadai or pan and their color will change from that. I took less oil that's why my samosas are more golden brown from both sides as they are touching the bottom of the pan.