Aloo Paratha Recipe - 2 ways to make it
I have made 2 types of stuffing for aloo paratha. First one is very simple without tadka. And the second one is tadka method. Without tadka method is very simple and easy to make. It is good if you want to make paratha quickly. Use this method for making paratha for tiffin because we have very limited time for preparing lunch and breakfast in the morning.
- Atta dough
- 3-4 big size boiled potatoes
- 3-4 finely chopped green chilies
- 4 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves
- 2 inch piece of grated ginger
- ½ lemon juice optional
- Cooking oil for making tadka and roasting paratha
- Salt according to taste
- ½ teaspoon haldi (turmeric) powder
- 1½ teaspoon coriander (dhaniya) powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried mango powder (amchur masala ) (optional)
Stuffing of without tadka
Grate the boiled potatoes or mash it with hands.
Put half chopped green chilies in potatoes
Add half of the grated ginger
Add half of chopped coriander leaves
Add salt in it
Add 1 teaspoon coriander powder
Add ½ teaspoon red chili powder
Add amchur powder (dry mango powder) in it.
Mix all the with the help of spoon or hands. This potato mixture is ready.
Steps for making potato masala with tadka
Heat the pan in the gas stove
Add 2 tablespoon cooking oil on the pan and heat it.
Add green chilies and grated ginger. And saute it until the raw aroma of ginger and garlic goes away.
Add ½ teaspoon haldi powder, coriander powder and red chili powder
Add salt as per taste
cook all spices in it until it releases oil from it
Add grated potatoes and mix it well
Add chopped coriander leaves on top of it and mix it well.
Squeeze lemon juice on top of it for a tangy flavor. It is an optional ingredient. You can avoid it also.
Rolling and stuffing paratha
Pinch a medium size ball of dough. Dip it into flour on both sides.
Put it on rolling board (chakla). Spread it little with the help of fingers.
Roll it slowly with the help of rolling pin (belan). Roll it until its size become 6-7 inches.
Put potato stuffing between the center of it. And make sure the 3 inches space is left from the corners.
Now carefully seal all the corners. homemade sealing the corners bring all the edges together and pinch to seal the edges. You can watch the video of mine for checking how to seal the edges of paratha.
Sealing should be done properly otherwise there will be gaps while rolling and the filling comes out of it.
Spread the dough with the help of fingers.
Dip it into flour on both sides or sprinkle it with flour.
Roll it slowly and make the paratha until its size becomes 6 inches approx. It's size around of chapati or roti’s size.
Steps for making aloo paratha recipe
Heat the tawa (skillet or griddle or tava) on the stove.
Tawa should not be at low temperature. Otherwise, paratha will become hard.
Place the rolled paratha on it.
Flip the paratha, when base is partially cooked.
Spread some oil (or ghee) with the help of spoon on partly cooked part.
Flip it again. And this time the other side should be more cooked than the previous homemade. You will see little brown spots on the paratha
Spread some oil (or ghee) on this side also.
Flip again once or twice until it cooked from both sides.
Press the edges of the paratha with the spoon to cook it properly from all the sides.
It should be golden brown from both of the sides.
Serve it directly on the plate. Put some homemade butter on top of it. And serve it the other things which I mentioned earlier in this post.
- You can put other things in the stuffing of it like chopped onion, peas, paneer etc. to enhance its taste and make it full of nutrients.
- You can add amchur powder for adding a tangy flavor on it. If you don’t have amchur powder then you can add anardana powder as well.
- Always finely chop the onion, chilies, coriander leaves etc. while making paratha so that it cannot break.
- You can increase or decrease the spiciness of it by increasing or decreasing the quantity of red chili and green chili in it.
- You can add cumin seeds in the potato mixture adding more flavor to it.