Masala Dosa and Plain Dosa Recipe
One of the healthiest meal which you can have anytime of the day.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 5 People
Potato Masala Ingredients
- 6-7 medium size boiled potatoes
- 2 chopped onions
- 1 small bowl peas
- 2-3 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida hing
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds Rai
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds jira
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder haldi powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder lal mirch powder
- salt as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mango powder amchur powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 6-7 curry leaves
Steps for making potato masala
Heat 2 tablespoon oil in frying pan
Lower the flame and add mustard seeds(rai) in it and let it sputter.
Add cumin seeds (jeera) in oil and fry it until its color changes to golden brown.
Add curry leaves and let it cook little bit.
Put chopped onions in it and saute it till they softens and turns translucent.
Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt, dry mango powder(amchur), garam masala in it and cook it until it releases oil from it
Add mashed potatoes in it and mix it well.
You will notice that the potatoes masala it very dry, instead of adding water in it. Add little bit of sambar in it. Consistency of potato masala will be little thicken. It will not look dry.
You can add coriander leaves in it which is completely optional.
Steps for making plain dosa or simple dosa
You will require the batter for it. Add half teaspoon salt in it and lightly stir it.
Heat up the flat non stick tawa or iron tawa on medium flame.
Clean the tawa with half onion or wet thick cloth to lower down the temperature of it.
Spread the oil on iron tawa for making it greasy. Remember that oil should not be visible on it. But tawa looks greasy. There is no need to add oil on non stick tawa.
Spread the batter with the help of spoon on tawa. And make sure the flame is low.
Spread batter in circular direction on tawa.
Spread the oil on top and on all sides of the dosa.
Cook dosa now on high flame for 1/2 to 2 minutes.
You will see, the edges of dosa will lose the tawa itself.
Cook it until it becomes crisp and golden brown.
Now fold the dosa. And your yummy crispy plain dosa is ready to eat.
Steps for making masala dosa
follow the steps from 1 to 10 of plain dosa.
After that add potato masala dosa with the help of spoon and spread it.
Fold the dosa and serve in serving plate.
Serve this crispy and delicious masala dosa with coconut chutney and sambar
- Before putting batter on tawa, clean tawa with wet cloth. By doing this tawa will be clean every time and little cold.
You can buy tawa for making dosa from amazon
- Remember that tawa should not be very hot before adding batter on it. If it is too hot then dosa will not be spread on it.
- After spreading dosa on tawa, turn the flame high to make it crispy and golden brown.